Thursday, April 9, 2020

April Wildflowers







Today I strolled my wildflower path to see what is in bloom.  I see that the deer have been chomping on my Mayapples but have only nibbled on my Solomon’s Seal.  Many of the wildflowers will be gone by the time the tree leaves are fully out, blocking their sunlight.   Here are a few treasures I found.
 
(Note: Please do not pick or dig up wildflowers.  You may purchase them from a local nursery or on-line.)

Dwarf Iris, Iris verna, grows only 4 to 6 inches tall.
 

The small Rue Anemone, Thalictrum thalictroides.


Dwarf Larkspur, Delphinium tricorne.
 
 
Jack in the Pulpit, Arisaema triphllum



Wild Geranium, Geranium maculatum.  After blooming the leaves add interest to your garden.

 
A newly opening bud of Green and Gold, Chrysogonum virginianum.  This plant grows very low to the ground.
 
 Woodland Phlox, Phlox divaricata.
 
 
Columbine, Aquilegia micrantha? This plant is perfectly built for a hummingbird's long tongue.

 
Golden Ragwort, Senecio aureus.
 
 
Leaves of the Mayapple, Podophyllum peltatum. One small yellowish flower can be found underneath the leaves.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment