Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Eye on Nature

           Mother Nature often presents some unusual sights.  I am grateful when I have my camera to capture them.  Here are a few pictures of my recent summer sightings.


Hummingbird moths mating.


We have all seen tadpoles before, but in a bird bath, 20 inches off the ground?
 
With the exception of my tadpole bird bath, honey bees occupy every water source throughout my yard. Last time I found honey bees drinking water I discovered a swarm.  See Dec. 2, 2014 post.


A wheel bug consuming a Japanese beetle.  See Jan. 10 post for more wheel
bug information.

Ever seen a hummingbird's long tongue?  Many people assume they use their beak like a straw, but they actually lap nectar with their tongue, much like dogs lap water.
 
A plant gall.  Often caused by insects, most galls  are harmless to the plant.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment